This website is a personal outlet for Zander Kidd (that’s me!). I’m passionate about mobile technology, all forms of security, automation, psychology, interaction with strangers, and penguins. They are freaking adorable!
I’m a farmers child (*bzzrrt* dial-up and all) who then somehow became a tech expert and those very conflicting worlds have worked wonders to shape me into my odd outdoorsy software developer self.
My Idea of a Fun Day
- Barefoot running
- Boardgames (50+ collection and counting)
- Building a blanket fort
- Go Karting
- RC Helicopter flying
Yeah I’m perhaps just a big kid[d] (punny!) but I’m also intensely motivated by the need to solve problems and understand how things tick. As such I’ve spent a large portion of my time researching everything from the brain to low level hardware and I’ve become a quite looked up to developer, IT professional, and psychology knowledge base. 🙂
- My Android apps were featured on Lifehacker and Wired magazine
- Paying off my student loans and buying a house
- Being given the Smartest Person Alive award
- Continually facing my social anxiety and working to step outside of my comfort zone
- Finding and resolving long-standing workplace system wide security concerns
- Presenting my research on touch screen technology at CASCON
- Backpacking through Japan
- Learning a host of useless talents in my need to understand things – I’m not sure how often in my life I’ll need to pick a lock, or make a balloon animal or solve a rubik’s cube but I am totally prepared!
Mobile App Expert
I’ve been fully into Android application development since Cupcake and the original Google G1, releasing the first Gameboy emulator for Android as well as a half-dozen other high profile applications and having my apps featured all over the web. I’ve used my expert knowledge in the area to train others and do contract work and consulting for local businesses. In the time since I’ve also been working towards proficiency in iOS and BB10/Cascades development.
I’m currently a Software Deployment Technologist at UOIT, a University with a difficult to pronounce acronym that you might know better as Durham College (much to my dismay). I spent 6 years here learning Computing Science and I’ve loved my time here enough that I’ve stuck around to help improve things for future students.
I run pilot projects on new technologies, automate the fuck out of everything, create images deployed to thousands of laptops, handle the software deployment and security of hundreds software titles, level 3 line of support, and do some server administration while I’m at it.
Creator of Others Stories
I may be an anxious introvert but I haven’t let that stop me from taking up barefoot running through downtown, or giving out flowers to random strangers, or inventing random holidays like Run through the Pond Day and Super Happy Fun Fun Smile Day.
I’ve filled a classroom with stuffed animals, cubicles with balloons, pitched a tent in a hallway for the day, and had many many wonderful hour long conversations with strangers.
It’s difficult to ignore my anxiety…very difficult actually…but life is about making stories. So that’s what I’m here to do.